Cencer research is my passion!
Medical education and research (1979 − 1988)
– University of Regensburg (pre-clinical terms).
– University of Erlangen-Nuremberg (clinicle terms), start with doctoral thesis.
– Visiting researcher at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA.
– Pediatric oncology, Hannove.
Medical education for Internal Medicine (1988 − 1995)
– Med. Klinik III, Immunology-Rheumatology, University Hospital, Erlangen.
– Med. Klinik IV, Nephrology, Municipal Hospital, Nuremberg.
– Med. Klinik V, Haemato-Oncology, Municipal Hospital, Nuremberg.
My thirst for knowledge is based on the principle of never standing still, avoiding dead ends, treading new paths and always looking out beyond the horizon. Therefore my publications are in different research topics (see list of publications). My doctoral thesis provided in the 1980s basic knowledge for the development of a drug (G-CSF) that has been used for decades for leukocytopenia treatment and for the extraction of peripheral stem cells in bone marrow transplants. On the basis of my LW/SO cell line I already proved in 1995 – at the time contrary to the prevailing opinion – that cell commitment and differentiation are not final but reversible phenomena. On the part of scientific establishment I was admonished not to turn the knowledge of cell biology upside down (correspondences). The groundbreaking character of my observation became apparent in the following years, when numerous publications adopted this idea for stem cell research (by the way, without referring to LW/SO publication).
iREM is an undeniable fact too!